There is a lot of controversy over the fact whether an infant should sleep in the same room as the parents or not. Most of the media coverage I have seen lately, advises against this practice, labeling it as irresponsible. That is not entirely wrong. It’s not okay for a baby to sleep in the same bed as the parents, but science says that is okay to share a room. Not only that is okay, but it comes with a variety of benefits.
That is why a bedside crib is anexcellent idea, for both mother and the child. Benefits are on both sides, and new parents should be encouraged to adopt this habit, rather than leaving their infant sleeping alone across the hall.
The advantages of a bedside crib
As I said, co-sleeping comes with benefits for the parents, but especially for the newborn baby. And I am not talking about benefits for now, but it’s a good thing in the long run. Here are a few significant advantages of bedside cribs.
- ü Peaceful sleeping – apparently, babies who sleep in the same room as the parents, close to them, have a more peaceful sleep than babies who spend the night in their own room. They barely startle during the night, and they cry four times less than infants who sleep alone. Crying increases the level of adrenaline and the heart rate goes up. That means the baby will have a state of restlessness, and going back to sleep will be difficult. But co-sleeping eliminates the chances of that happening.
- ü Babies who sleep in the same room as the parents sleep physiologically safer. They have a regular heart rhythm, and their temperature is more stable comparing to infants who sleep alone. Moreover, the long breathing pauses are fewer than in the opposite situation.
- ü Decreases the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) – I think you heard about this condition. There are a few things that scientists know about it, and nobody knows how to prevent it. However, what researchers do know is that babies sleeping on their backs or a side have fewer chances of dying during sleep. As it seems, babies who sleep by their parent’s bed tend to sleep in the right position. Studies have also shown that the risk of SIDS is a lot lower in countries where co-sleeping is a usual habit. Another aspect that should not be overlooked is that the carbon dioxide exhaled by the parents actually stimulate the baby’s breathing.
- ü Long term emotional health – remember when I said that co-sleeping is beneficial in the long run? This is what I meant. Children who used to sleep in the same room as their parents when they were babies tend to become more independent, with a higher self-esteem, and more comfortable with affection than children who used to sleep alone.
- ü A bedside crib is safer than sharing the bed. A lot of fatalities happen when the baby sleeps in the same bed as the parents. The risk of smothering is too high. Also, if the mother is a smoker or consumes alcohol the risk of SIDS increases.
- ü It’s more practical. Let’s face it. Getting up out of bed a few times during the night is not exactly pleasant. But a bedside crib will help you a lot. Whenever the baby starts to fuss, you can just pull him or her towards you and breastfeed. He will not get to the point in which he starts crying, which means he will get back to sleep relatively fast. After you are donebreastfeeding, you can gently push him back and go back to sleep.
How to choose the best bedside crib?
There are hundreds of models on the market. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but there are some criteria that make for the best bedside crib. Here are just a few.
- ü Adjustable height – not all beds are the same height and looking for a crib that is the same height as your bed can sometimes rob you of some features you like on another model. Let’s say you found the perfect bedside crib, with all the features you need and like, but the height does not match. It would be a shame to give it up, wouldn’t it? But if a crib has adjustable legs, you can make it as high as you need it to be.
- ü Versatility – the baby sleeps in the same room as you just for a few months. After that period there is no point in continuing co-sleeping anymore, which is why the baby gets a room. Wouldn’t it be better to just move the bedside crib in the infant’s room, rather than buying a new crib? There are plenty of models out there that can be used as individual cribs as well as bedside cribs. Whether the rails come up or need to be installed, it doesn’t matter. As long as you can move the crib in the baby’s room, you can save some money.
- ü Finish – if you go for a bedside made of wood, make sure that the finish is water-based. Water-based paint is a lot safer for the baby because it’s non-toxic.
- ü Portability – wouldn’t it be nice if you could just roll the crib from one room to another? You could watch TV in the living room and still be able to look at the baby. You don’t have to be confined to the bedroom. And when you have guests, you don’t have to leave the baby alone. However, make sure that the wheels can be locked in place.
- ü Cozy environment –the baby needs a soft, comfortable and safe environment, which is why the bedside crib should be comfy as in padded. Also, the rails should be designed in such a way that it can prevent the baby from slipping his tiny hands or feet between them. Accidents can happen. But I still think that a bed without rails is the best choice. Go instead for a sturdy mesh surrounding, or a bedside crib that has rails, but it also has a padded interior.
There you have it. The criteria I mentioned above is for the safety and comfort of your baby, but it will also bring you some peace of mind. A cozy environment will benefit the baby. A happy infant is a quite infant.
What are the best bedside cribs?
Manufacturers are in a constant competition for producing the best bedside cribs, which is why it may be confusing for you to choose the right one. You have the criteria, but there are a lot of models that meet the standards. Here are a few suggestions that are meant to make your task a lot easier.
Babybay Bedside Sleeper
This bedside crib is designed for people who like the idea of an all-natural, eco-friendly, untreated finish crib that ensures no toxic substances come in contact with their baby. It is made of beechwood, and it has a warm and comforting look. Even if there is no finish to it, the wood is perfectly sanded. You don’t have to worry about splinters.
The Babybay bedside crib can be securely attached to the bed so you would have an easy time soothing and nursing the baby. You don’t even have to leave the covers. It’snice knowing that the baby is comfortable next to you, isn’t it? There is ease of handling, more bonding time, and a small chance or crying during the night.
The design is modular. You can turn the Babybay into a portable crib. All you have to do is use the roller kit and the bassinet conversion kit. They are sold separately, but this is one of the things I like about this product. You don’t have to spend money on the whole thing, just take what you need.
The bedside crib will fit any bed height within 11 inches of top rail. The beechwood provides antibacterial and antistatic protection, and the assembly only lasts 15 minutes. You don’t need any special tools or too much help. You can just do it yourself easily. If you plan on moving the crib from one room to another, you can install the roller kit. The wheels have a safety feature that locks the crib into place.
The Baybay has a sturdy construction that will last. It is recommended that the baby sleeps in it until he reaches six months old, or whenever he starts to move around. After the six monthperiod, you can turn the bedside crib into a bassinet. However, make sure that you order the baby nest and the mattress, as they are not included in the package. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Arm’s Reach Co-sleeper Cambria Bassinet
Arm’s Reach has a long history of manufacturing high-quality, durable nursery products, and believe me; this bassinet makes no exception. There are a few products out there that can top its quality and comfort.
The design features beautifully curved wooden ends. The linings vary, though. You have the possibility of choosing from a variety of colors. But no matter what color you go for, the same mesh surrounds the bedside crib for more breathability and visibility. The underneath space provides storage space for whatever you may be needing during the night.
Just as all bedside cribs, this too can be installed by your bed so you can sleep comfortably with your child by your side from the moment he is born until he reaches five or six months of age. That makes handling and nursing a lot easier than getting up every time you need to feed the baby. However, if the baby starts to push up on hands and knees, that time can be reduced.
The crib will fit any bed height that starts at 24 inches, measured from the floor to the top of the adult mattress. The built-in leg extension will allow you to change the height, according to the height of your bed. If you want to move the bedside crib from one place to another, the four wheels will help you do that a lot easier. There is no heavy lifting involved. Also, the wheels can be locked into place. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Chicco Next2Me Crib
Chicco is another company that is popular for its quality and affordable prices for nursery products, from toys all the way up to baby furniture. They have been around for quite some time, but they keep progressing. Chicco is one of the companies that promotes co-sleeping as a healthy start in life, which is why they created this beautifully designed bedside crib.
The Next2Me crib will fit virtually any bed. It has six different height positions, so adapting it to a variety of bed heights should be easy as pie. The baby nest is surrounded by strong, durable mesh that provides breathability and more visibility. It has a simple fastening mechanism that will make attachment very easy to achieve. The articulated feet will fit next to under bed drawers, so space is not an issue.
The feature that I like the most about this bedside crib is that it has a semi-reclined mode. That will help the baby with digestion, and it can contribute to avoiding regurgitation. The wheels make the crib portable, and the locking system will make sure that the crib stays in place.
The mattressis included in the package. After the co-sleeping period, you can just turn this bedside crib into a regular crib and move it in the baby’s room. That will save you a few bucks. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
After careful consideration, I reached the conclusion that the Arm’s Reach is one of the best bedside cribs ever made. It has all the right features, it’s sturdy, and the babynest looks really comfortable. Not to mention that the design makes quite the impression. It will look good by any bed.
Co-sleeping is a great way of providing a great start in life for your baby. It has a lot of benefits which you can enjoy as well. Your nights will be relaxed; you will sleep better, you will be well-rested, and your baby will be happy. What more can you want? Click here to buy on Amazon
- Rumors, Deception and Wooden Bassinet
- Why Everyone Is Mistaken Regarding Bedside Co Sleeper and Why You Must View This Article Immediately
- What Is So Fascinating About Baby Side Sleeper?
- Co Sleeping Bassinet Can Be Fun for Everyone
- The Bassinet Mattress Cover Up
- An Unbiased View of Co Sleeping Bed
- Who is Talking About Best Co Sleeper and Why You Should Be Worried
- What Co Sleeping Cot Is – and What it Is Not
- The New Angle On Bedside Sleeper Just Released
- A Review of Co Sleeper Bed
- Top Baby Bedside Sleeper Choices
- Things You Should Know About Best Bassinet
- The Ultimate Best Cribs Trick
- What You Have to Know About Best Baby Cribs and Why
- The Little-Known Secrets to Co Sleeper Attach to Bed
- The Basic Facts of Baby Co Sleeper
- Choosing Portable Bassinet
- Instant Solutions for Baby Sleeper
- An Unbiased View of Bedside Bassinet
- Definitions of Co Sleeper Crib
- If You Read Nothing Else Today, Read This Report on Bedside Cot
- New Ideas Into Co Sleeper Bassinet Never Before Revealed
- Baby Cribs – What Is It?
- Top Tips of Baby Cradle
- The Hidden Treasure of Bedside Crib
- The Basics of Baby Bassinet
- Shocking Facts Regarding Bassinet Unveiled
- The Insider Secrets for Co Sleeper
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Infant Co Sleeper
- The Appeal of Baby Girl Bassinet
- Life After Baby Bedside Cot
- What Every Body Is Saying About next to Me Cot Is Wrong and Why
- The Undisputed Truth About Co Sleeper in Bed That the Experts Don’t Want You to Know
- Know What the Experts are Saying About Cheap Bassinets
- The Most Overlooked Fact Regarding Bassinet Co Sleeper Uncovered